Thursday, May 04, 2006

Baseball and Babes

So much to say. I could be writing about the Hitchens and Cole spat, or about the new issue of Granta, which finally showed up, but instead I've been working on a number of other things and time has gotten away from me.

It has been brought to my attention that I've laid off the White Sox now that they seem to be winning some games (19-8, and again tonight with an extra innings win), but rest assured the might al-Zabaniya has only put its powers on hold, they will soon rear their ugly heads again as the Sox go on the skids.

But for tonight, only a bit of news cribbed from the Arabic press. First, Muhammad Hamdi al-Ahdal was sentenced to only 37 months in prison, a pitifully small amount of time for the highest ranking al-Qaeda member Yemen has ever captured. (He was captured in November 2003 after the US killed his boss in the famous Hellfire missile instance.) Here is the al-Jazeera report, and the one from al-Sharq al-Awsat.

I also wanted to point out what looks to be a very good article from al-Hayat's Yemen correspondent, Faysal Mukrim, in the paper's special section, where it features in-depth reporting. Given the end of the academic year I haven't had a chance to read any more than the title, but that struck me as spot-on (my rather loose translation): Ali Abdullah Salih waits for his party's request to stand (for re-election) despite his (earlier) announcement of disinterest. Yes, it is early in the morning and my powers of simultaneous translation seem to be failing me.

One final thing, which all of us here at al-Nawadir have been paying a lot of attention to this past month is the case of Hasan al-Turabi in Sudan and his fatwa about allowing Muslim women to marry non-Muslim (Christian and Jewish) men. I plan on having a lot more of this over the weekend, although not all of it will make it onto the site here, but for now we will have to be satisfied with a column from today's al-Sharq al-Awsat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home